Alternatives to the Automobile
What is it about bikes?
Or alternatively, what's so wrong about cars? Either way,
here's some food for thought.
Critical Mass... People Power... Wondering what all the
fuss is about? These URLs are about the physics and politics
of the Bicycle, a familiar 2-wheeled form of HPV that has been
around since the mid 1800s. Bike activism, anti-bike activism,
bike socialist theory, bike anarchist practise... find it here.
- The ultimate online dictionary for just about every bike-related
terminology and jargon.
- Some handy sound-bites
- Ever need a snappy statistic when informing the naive,
arguing with the clueless, reasoning with those deep in denial, or
even sympathizing with those racked with guilt
about their car-centered life? Here's a wide and deep selection.
Warning, you may feel depressed and/or very angry after reading this.
- The Bike Reader
- This fascinating site offers essays, humour, photographs -- a true
online anthology by and for cyclists.
- Hauling It
- Trailers, trailer stories, trailer sites . . . everything I know
about hauling large objects using a bike.
- Is Cycling Dangerous? (more soundbites)
- This actually belongs with the helmet law discussion below, but
it contains some more interesting statistics and soundbites about
the relative risks and social costs of cycling and driving.
- In Praise of the Bicycle by Ivan Illich
- This is a much-quoted and very interesting set of statistics.
- Bike activists are interesting people!
- Passionate, opinionated, and (have to be) courageous. One local
activist here in Santa Cruz is
a very well-informed fellow. Lots of useful links on his page.
Taking Bikes Seriously
- There are some places in the world where bicycles are really taken
seriously as a transportation future... like Australia!
- Bikes in Wisconsin
- This is a really first-rate regional (Dane County, WI) bike activist
page. Links to tons of useful stuff online, as well as essays, local
- Fastest Bike in the West
- Er, make that "in the world".
- Demographics of US Bike Market
- Marketers read this magazine. Heads up!
- Survey of North American Bike Commuters
- Only about 2300 bike commuters responded, but the results are interesting.
- Bike Lanes and Bike Paths?
- So you think that new bike path in your town represents a great
victory for cycle transport? Read the frank opinions of cycling and
traffic control expert John Forester and wonder.
- Should Helmets be Mandatory?
- This British Medical Journal article says No. Canadian doctor
T. J. Demarco says No,
as do some
of his colleagues.
The European Cyclists'
representing 400,000 members, says No.
And so do I. And I agree with
assessment of relative risk. But see also
the Bike Helmet Safety Institute pages,
where both sides of the Helmet Wars are (sorta) fairly represented.
Check out the contending viewpoints and make up your own mind.
CA Vehicle Code and Bikes
- Know the law. The police (mostly) do.
- Bike Safety
- Near the top of this FAQ is a really (painfully) funny essay on
motorists' behaviour around bikes.
- Yup, there are rabid anti-bike, pro-auto people out there... like
Brock Yates. Check out the equally flaming response to this now-infamous letter-to-the-editor!
- Social Ideology of the Motorcar
- Hey, let's get really radical!