Santa Cruz Bike/Ped/Transit issues
This page is all about local Santa Cruz bicycle, pedestrian,
and public transit issues. Not too interesting unless you live here :-)
- City Bike Subcommittee Letter to RTC
- RTC presented a list of traffic projects, some of which were
bike/pedestrian oriented. This was the City Subcom's letter,
as presented at the public hearing.
- SCPD OTS "traffic safety" grant proposal
- Minor local controversy over this flawed proposal by local
police department to improve safety for bikes and pedestrians in
town. Unfortunately the grant includes no language about curbing
or correcting dangerous driving!
- West Cliff Trestle Bridge Upgrade
- The City tries to resolve a long-standing safety and transit problem.
- West Cliff Trestle Car Problems
- Motorists are not respecting the bike lane on the one-way
uphill stretch leading to the bridge.
- Bike Parking: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
- Don Fong (thanks Don) has been patiently collecting pictures of
various bike parking facilities and rating them on ease of use, security,
etc. Interesting pages.
- Bike Parking On the Wharf
- The wharf offers an interesting historical variety of
bike rack designs.
- Weird Bike Racks at BayFed Gateway
- Theories abound as to how these racks are really meant to
- Comic Relief: Pershall's Folly
- As the pages above will show, Santa Cruz is home to some very
strange bike rack designs. But surely the winner is a purely local
- Badly Maintained RR Xings
- Some RR Xings in Santa Cruz are a public embarrassment, offering
a hazard and obstacle to pedestrians on the sidewalk, a barrier
to wheelchair travel, and discomfort and hazard to cyclists in
the bike lanes.